Top 15 Scary Live News On-Scene Moments

Top 15 Scary Live News On-Scene Moments

Number 15. No Mask: Reporters around the world have had
to deal with an assortment of harassment. Vuyo Mvoko faced a completely different form
of heckling right before going live. Two men approached, and demanded Mvoko’s and
his crew’s belongings. At first, he wasn’t sure what was happening,
and believed the men were only being disruptive. Once the piece came out, it became clear as
to what the men’s motivations were. Mvoko and his crew were only seconds away
from going live with their report when the men appeared, Despite the scary situation,
the men were not clever enough to conceal themselves from the camera, and their faces
are clearly visible, and they were quickly identified. All the news crew came out uninjured, and
Mvoko gave an in person interview about the incident. M embers of the KTVU station were startled
by a commotion, and a man running away. A few feet away, the crew from nearby KNTV
began screaming as a man approached them and hit the camera man. The suspect then grabbed both crew’s cameras
and fled into a car, his face briefly shown before the footage ends. Police were able to take the suspect in custody,
and nobody was seriously harmed in the incident. Number 14. North Hollywood Incident: The morning of February
28, 1997 echoed with loud bangs in North Hollywood, Los Angeles. Two heavily armed men robbed a Bank of America
branch. Upon exiting the bank, the men found themselves
surrounded by LAPD officers, but showed no fear as they attempted to escape. Officers attempted to retaliate, but their
efforts were stopped by the men’s heavy armour. Two of the witnesses that day were reporter
Jorge [Hor-hay] Viera and his cameraman John Guerra. The two worked for KVEA-TV, a local Spanish
language news, and were the first news to arrive on the scene. Ducked behind several parked cars, Viera reported
despite what was happening only feet away from him. At one point, Viera mistook one of the men
for a police officer and moved closer towards him. It wasn’t until he was too close that he realized
his mistake, and remained in cover. Thankfully, Viera and Gurrera survived the
ordeal. The incident was a changing point in police
history, and many credit it with the beginning of police being more heavily equipped. Number 13. Beyond Duty: Not all heroes wear capes, and
not all reporters are only interested in capturing the next scoop. During Hurricane Harvey between August 17
and September 2, 2017, Texas experienced massive flooding which affected nearly 50,000 homes. One of the hardest hit was Houston and the
surrounding area. During the calm of the storm, KHOU 11 reporter
Brandi Smith and photographer Mario Sandoval were filming on a elevated freeway when they
came across a semi-truck in over ten feet of water, with its driver trapped inside. His doors were held shut by the force of the
water, and his cabin was quickly filling inside. Much to Smith and Sandoval’s relief, a Sheriff
car was passing by towing a boat behind it. Smith flagged down the Sheriff’s deputies
and asked them to help, and the two men quickly sprang into action. While assessing the situation, one of the
deputies revealed that a year before, they had to dive in the same location to recover
a driver who passed away in a completely submerged semi-truck. The driver was rescued thanks to Smith’s actions,
and the two of them later appeared on Ellen to share their story. Number 12. The Lion’s Jaws: The lion has the nickname
“King of the Jungle”, and for good reason. Telegraph journalist Charlie Starmer-Smith
was in South Africa at an animal sanctuary to film himself with the lions. Clearly nervous from the beginning, Smith
steps into the lion’s cage, and is assured by the handler it is safe to pet the lion’s
belly. It starts off fine, but the lion begins biting
at Smith’s shoes and sleeve. After the handler gets the lion away, it appears
to attempt to scratch him, but the handler assures Smith he is just playing. After a second attempt to calmly pet the lion,
it once again begins to bit at his sleeves and pant legs. For over a minute, the lion scratches and
bites Smith as the handler works to get the lion away from Smith. Thankfully, all scratches were minor, and
not conducted out of pure aggression on the lion’s part. It was only playing, but had Smith showed
any weakness or had panicked, it is possible the lion would have done much worse. Smith managed to walk away alive. Number 11. London is Burning: When unrest occurs, fires
will follow. London was the epicentre of a massive incident
between August 6 and 11, 2011, after Metropolitan Police took the life of unarmed Mark Duggan.The
outrage spread throughout the UK, with shops, homes and vehicles looted and burned. A group of BBC journalists were driving and
filming one of the areas affected, with smoke filling the streets and people swarming all
around. Every shop they passed was being looted, and
burned out cars blocked some of the streets. The chilling thing is how calm everyone is,
which one of the reporters described as “sauntering down the street as if in a supermarket isle.” Then, without warning, the rioters turned
on the news van, and a rock was thrown through their window, causing the driver to put his
foot down and speed off. Several more rocks could be heard hitting
the side of the van, as they frantically tried to return to the police line. Thankfully, the crew escaped unharmed. Number 10. Trapped in Mosul: The situation in Syria and
Northern Iraq has been a major story, and rise of Da’esh. Throughout 2014, Da’esh became a subject of
worry after the group managed to take over much of eastern Syrian, and Northern Iraq,
with the peak of its campaign in early June when it captured the Iraqi city of Mosul,
the country’s third largest with over 2 million inhabitants. CNN correspondent Arwa Damon, and camera operator
Brice Laine were imbedded with Iraqi Special Forces travelled with them in an armoured
car as they entered the suburbs of Mosul. The convoy was under immediate fire, then
get boxed in an alley blocked by cars and other debris. As the crew waits for the roads to get cleared,
they interview several civilians trapped in the city. To the groups horror, their tires are fall
flat and they become trapped in enemy territory. They all take cover in a house as things continue
to escalate. More disturbingly, Da’esh also filmed the
battle only feet away from where the crew was. The crew bunker down through the night, and
after over 20 hours, reinforcements finally arrive and evacuate everyone. Number 9. Tyler Courthouse: The courthouse in Tyler,
Texas became the scene of a major battle on February 24, 2005. David Arroyo made his way to the courthouse
to confront his ex-wife and son. The two had recently gotten divorced, and
Arroyo was enraged at the court’s decision. As his ex-wife and son walked towards the
courthouse doors, Arroyo ambushed them, taking the life of his ex-wife. Several officers inside attempted confront
Arroyo, but were forced to retreat. During the incident, a news crew was inside
one of the court rooms when this started. Everyone in the room dropped to the floor,
and one officer kept the defendant subdued in order to prevent him from making a dash
in the confusion. At one point, the crew’s camera man decided
to venture outside in order to capture what was going on, but made it no further than
a few steps before his nerves got the better of him, and he rushed back into the courtroom
to take cover. Outside, news crews captured officers swarming
the area in order to prevent Arroyo from escaping. Unfortunately, Arroyo had already driven off,
and a short chase ensued. After Arroyo was rammed by a car, he had his
life taken when attempting to retaliate. In the end, Arroyo’s wife, a civilian, and
Arroyo were the only people who passed away during the incident. Number 8. Chaos in Ferguson: In three separate instances,
Ferguson became chaotic after police took the life of Michael Brown, an unarmed African-American
teen who was walking home with friends on August 9, 2014. The same day, people flocked to the streets
to voice their anger. For two weeks and two days, the streets of
Ferguson were rife with chaos. News stations from across the states gathered
to capture the chaos, but often found themselves in the line of fire. During the second wave between November 24
and December 2 of the same year, a result of the officer involved being acquitted of
charges, CNN reporter Sarah Snider was discussing several fires near her when a rock was thrown
at her, causing her to momentarily duck down in pain. Snider was okay and assured the viewers and
station as much before continuing her report. However, another reporter who was also live
interrupted her saying he could still see rocks falling down around her, and urged her
to leave the area. In another incident, a crew from Al Jazeera
were preparing for a broadcast with the police in the background, when without warning or
reason, police fired a tear gas canister right at them. Another crew nearby caught the incident on
tape, and shows the crew running from the rising gas. The police are then shown rushing to the site,
and dismantling their lights and cameras. It is unknown what their motivations were,
but there has been speculation it was a form of media censoring. Number 7. Tear Gassed: For nearly two years, Greece
erupted into a near revolution in response to the rising debt crisis and major cuts to
services by the then government. All across the country, particularly the capital
of Athens, people took to the streets, where they often clashed with police, and far-right
demonstrators. RT correspondent Sarah Firth and her photographer
were caught in the middle of one clash when tear gas canisters were fired in their direction,
covering the surroundings in thick white smoke, and deafening them with loud bangs. Despite becoming overwhelmed with tear gas,
Firth managed to continue her report for several minutes before retreating. Succumbing to the gas, Firth and her photographer
collapsed to their knees. Firth and her photographer spent several minutes
in the gas, and were suffering. Worst yet, protesters around them were taking
their frustration out by shoving the photographer and offering them no assistance. Thankfully, a good samaritan came to their
aid, providing them with cold water, medicine, and escorting them to EMTs. Because of this, the two were able to quickly
recover, and continue the report. Number 6. Falling from the Sky: News choppers are great
for getting ariel shots for a variety of reasons, from ongoing events, to weather, to traffic. Unfortunately, horrible incidents are known
to happen. Most famously, a major incident in Phoenix
occurred on July 27, 2007. Crews from KNXV-TV and KTVK were in the air
reporting on a police pursuit of a man in a work truck. At one point during the chase, the man abandoned
his vehicle and attempted to take another work truck, but workers were rushing him to
attempt to stop him. As the situation was unfolding, both helicopters
got too close to each other and collided over Steele Indian School Park. The live feed quickly went to static, and
confused station crew believed a connection error had occurred. Other news choppers in the area, who were
also covering the pursuit, suddenly changed their priority after they saw the smoke of
both choppers rising from the ground in the aftermath. Immediately after, all choppers were ordered
to leave the area in order to prevent any further incidents. Both reporters and pilots passed away, but
nobody on the ground were hurt, as they landed in an open, unpopulated area. Number 5. Rubber Rounds: In the aftermath of the 2016
Presidential Election, across the country, tens of thousands of people demonstrated their
displeasure at the results. During several of the events, things became
unruly and police resorted to tear gas and rubber rounds in order to disperse the growing
crowds, and clashes between supporters and opposers. KOIN 6 news reporters were in Portland filming
the event, when things went south quickly. Tear gas and flash bangs went off all around,
and rubber rounds went flying as people scrambled to get away and others fell injured onto the
street. Reporter Cole Miller was in the process of
aiding a fallen man, when several flash bangs blew in his vicinity, and then he was hit
with a rubber rounds in his lower back. This in turn led him to retreat to safety,
where he was assessed by medical volunteers and determined to be okay. Number 4. Just In Time: Expect the unexpected, and you
may just save your life. This was the lesson a KTVU journalist in Northern
California will never forget. Alex Savidge was at a busy intersection talking
about a recent train derailment, when suddenly two cars drive into each other, sending one
right towards the crew. The reporter heard the noise, and quickly
dodged out of the way before the car took him out. Everyone was okay. Even the camera itself avoided damage as it
was able to stay upright and continue filming. Number 3. 1992 LA: For five days in 1992, Los Angeles
was lit up like a roman candle. After the Rodney King verdict came in, people
gathered outside the court room began taking out their anger on the courthouse. Things began getting more heated at the corner
of Florence and Normandie, where a large mob began throwing rocks a passing cars and pulling
random drivers from their vehicles. From there, things escalated quickly throughout
Los Angeles. The unprepared LAPD quickly called in every
available officer back to duty, including recalling those on vacation, and members of
the LA County Sheriff. In Koreatown, merchants had their shops broken
into and looted. Several angry shop owners were being interviewed
by a local TV crew, when they suddenly went back into their stores. They then spent time firing at various individuals
they believed to be threats. The TV crew ducked back, and filmed the ordeal,
which eventually culminated with the merchants engaging in a fire fight with individuals
who pulled up. The ordeal ended when then president George
H.W. Bush authorized the mobilization of the 7th Infantry and 1st Marine Divisions to aid
police in regaining control of the situation. Number 2. Miracle Valley: Between 1978 and 1980, 300
members of the Christ Miracle Healing Centre and Churched, many from Chicago and Mississippi,
moved into the area surrounding the former bible college. Controversy raised further when authorities
discovered up to ten members had passed away, including five children, due to the church’s
refusal to seek proper medical attention, instead attempting faith healing. After tensions reached its peak, several members
of the congregation took their own lives with dynamite, for use still under speculation. National and local news stations were attracted
to the situation and converged on Miracle Valley, interviewing both members of the community
and members of the Church. However, the latter people were not trustworthy
of outsiders, as one crew found out. As they were setting up to conduct a report,
several women from the church pulled up in a car and began striking them with hammers
and other objects. The crew had to quickly dismantle their equipment
and literally jump into their moving car to escape. Unknown to all involved, another crew nearby
caught the ordeal on tape. After the footage aired, all sympathy towards
the church was squashed, and they all became vilified. On October 23, 1982, members of the sheriffs
office entered the compound to arrest members suspected to be involved in the dynamite incident,
resulting in a massive conflict between police and church members. In the aftermath, nobody was charged, but
the church slowly faded into obscurity. Before we get to number 1, my name is Chills
and I hope you’re enjoying my narration. If you’re curious about what I look like
in real life, then go to my instagram, @dylan_is_chillin_yt and tap that follow button to find out. I recently released a music video for my song
Sidelined and I’d love to get your opinion on it. Tap the circle icon in the top right right
corner, then tap MY MUSIC VIDEO to give it a watch. It’s also linked in the description below. It’s a proven fact that generosity makes you
a happier person, so if you’re generous enough to hit that subscribe button and the bell
beside it then thank you. This way you’ll be notified of the new video
we upload every Tuesday. Number 1. Best Friend, Worst Enemy: Abby Niezgoda was
attempting to interview Rhode Island resident Melissa Lawrence, whose daughter had been
hosiptalized by a neighbour during a graduation party. She survived, but Lawrence was clearly feeling
the stress of this incident when Niezgoda showed up at her door. Lawrence was instantly hostile, throwing rocks
towards the crew. Then, more frighteningly, Lawrence orders
her dogs to attack Niezgoda, as she and the photographer fled down the street. In another incident, reporter John Gordon
was doing a report on police dogs, and was interviewing K9 officer John Best with his
new dog Pedro. The interview starts off well, and Gordon
gently pets Pedro on the head. Best was confident things would go well, but
also did not know Pedro’s personality all that well since they were just assigned to
each other. At one point, Gordon reaches up with his other
hand and places it on Pedro’s neck. Because the dog is trained to defend itself,
Pedro saw this as an aggressive act and quickly chomped down on Gordon’s face. Best pulled Pedro away within a fraction of
a second, and Gordon stood up and walked away. He was rushed to the hospital, but luckily
only suffered minor cuts. Gordon learned an important lesson to remember
the personal boundaries of a police dog, and he has since had no hard feelings towards

Only registered users can comment.

  1. This video was narrated by Chills.

  2. Bruh😨 !! that dude was not afraid to put that lion in a head lock real quick!
    That big ass lion handler was bigger than that big ass lion. Lol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *